Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Frittata!


Frittatas com from Italy and they are in fact like a sort of Italian Omelet. The ingredients you can use in them vary from meats to cheeses and vegetables. I love using onions in almost all of my frittatas and what I do is saute them in oil or butter until they are soft and then add my other ingredients. One of my favorite things to add after this is potatoes which I of course cube and cook first and this I do with some tomato and some oil, once they are soft you can add them too. If you eat meat, adding a good amount of sliced deli ham cut up in pieces is a great compliment to this. Last you would add the eggs, 6 or 8, depending on how big your frying pan is and how big you want to make our frittata. I use a medium sized pan and for that I only use 6 eggs. The eggs should have previously been beaten with a whisk or fork in a mixing bowl, and to this you can add cheese if you are using, grated or shredded. I usually add Parmesan cheese here to the egg mixture and then once I pour the mixture into the pan, i add some Fontina cheese that I have cut up in cubes, just add them on top and spread evenly on top of the mixture. To the egg mixture you also can add any herbs that you think might go well with whatever ingredients you have chosen, for example, if you are using tomatoes and red pepper and maybe even asparagus, some dried basil would go well, so add a tsp. of it to your egg mixture. And don't forget to add salt and pepper to it. It should cook on low heat for about 8 to 10 minutes and when you feel that almost all is cooked except for the top part, put inside an oven under the broiler for a few minutes but be very careful, it will only take a few minutes to cook and begin to brown on top. A little golden color is beautiful but make sure it does not burn. I leave the oven door open while I do this and I bring it out to check it every 15 or 20 seconds to ensure that nothing goes wrong with my frittata. It is a great brunch item, but wonderful for lunch too with a green salad on the side. The photo here is of one I made with onions, tomatoes, asparagus, and fontina cheese. If you need help or suggestions about ingredients, please leave me a comment and I will post suggestions as soon as I can. I have lots of ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment