Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ground Veggie Meat with Vegetables




In case I haven't mentioned it before, I don't eat meat or chicken. It's a personal choice and I am not against others eating it. In fact, I might in the future post a recipe for a wonderful and quick roast chicken that I have made before and was told tastes delicious.
I still eat a healthy diet and obtain all the necessary nutrients my body needs. It takes a little more effort but it is not at all difficult. On of the things I make sure I include often is vegetarian protein or "soy meats". For those allergic to soy there are other options as well. In El Salvador, the dish I am going to write about is enjoyed with rice and tortillas. It is delicious and thanks to this veggie ground meat I use, there was no need for me to stop eating it when I became a pescetarian.
Ingredients:
-1 package veggie ground by St.Yves. Morning Star also makes a great one that is just as good. And if you cannot use soy, try the Quorn brand which is made from a different micro protein. And of course if you eat meat, just get regular ground beef.
-2 carrots-chopped
-1 onion-chopped
-1 handful green beans-chopped
-2 potatoes-chopped
-2 stock cubes or bouillon
-some tomato paste
-1 lrg. tomato or two medium
-olive oil
Preparation:
You should already have everything when you get started, so start by heating some oil in a deep skillet that has a cover (lid) because you will need to cover it later. Add the tomatoes and onion to this and saute for about 2 or 3 minutes until everything is soft. Then add the chopped vegetables and saute a little over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes, once they are turning brighter in color add the stock cubes, some tomato paste (about 2 tbsp), stir and distribute this all over the vegetables and finally add some water, just enough to cover the vegetables halfway. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Let the vegetables cook with the steam for about 10 minutes. Uncover and make sure the vegetables are tender but not too soft, then add the veggie meat* and stir, cover again and cook for about another 5 minutes. If it looks like there's no water and the vegetables might stick to the bottom of the skillet, just add a little more water. Then, uncover and let the rest of the liquid evaporate and you are done! Eat with some rice and tortillas. Yum!
*If you are using real meat, cook it first in the oil and then add the vegetables. This is done so because real meat needs longer to cook than veggie meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment